Who We Are
over 2 years ago
Montello Elementary School serves approximately 700 students in grades Pre K to Six. Our students come from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. We embrace all who walk through our doors, and consider it a privilege to be entrusted with such a responsibility.
At Montello, we support the Lewiston Public Schools Mission- Ensuring Academic and Civic Success. We believe that in order for students to succeed academically we must provide strong behavioral and social supports. In order to meet the needs of our students we have a system of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) in place. We expect all persons in the building and on school grounds (students, staff, and families) to BE SAFE, BE RESPECTFUL, AND BE RESPONSIBLE at all times. Students receive explicit instruction in these three areas continually throughout the year. A continuum of supports ranging from whole and small group to individual are available in order to ensure our students are successful in meeting our behavior and social expectations.
Our school is staffed by approximately 50 teachers and an additional 50 people in support roles. We have extensive programs to support all students. These programs and personnel include: Special Education, Title 1, English Language Learner programming, and Guidance. Students participate in physical education, art, guidance, library and music classes weekly. We offer Gifted and Talented programming and musical experiences including band and stringed instruments. We also offer extended day and year programming.
Last year, Montello developed a set of belief statements to help guide our decision-making processes and instructional practices. These belief statements were developed by the leadership team, staff members, and parent representatives, and they denote our commitment to all members of our school community.
At Montello, We Believe...
- All children can and want to learn.
- It is our responsibility to invest in the development of positive, supportive, and respectful relationships with all children.
- Teaching and learning are reciprocal processes that engage our diverse school community.
- In building upon the strengths of our members in a creative, fun and supportive environment
- Teamwork results in success: students, families, staff & community members
- Our actions have the power to create a culture that is safe, positive and supportive.